How to Test and Disable NetBIOS on Windows Servers
Determine if NetBIOS is Enabled
- Log into your dedicated server using Remote Desktop.
- Click on Start > Run > cmd.
- If you get any response other than
"Failed to access NetBT driver -- NetBT may not be loaded"
this means NetBIOS is enabled.
- Run this script on the server to disable it completely:
"TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper"
net stop netbt
sc config netbt start= disabled
sc config lmhosts start= disabled
- Confirm that it's been disabled by going to Start > Run > cmd > nbstat -n.
Article ID: 545, Created: April 10, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Modified: August 28, 2014 at 10:16 AM