When trying to log into the Plesk Control Panel, you receive the error message below:
> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server<
> Login failed for user 'admin'.
This happens when Plesk is not able to log into its PSA database. The most common causes for this are:
- SQL is not running
- The "admin" user's password was changed.
Unless you have a dedicated server these steps must be performed by a member of our Support staff.
SQL is not running
Confirm MSSQL Server is running by double clicking on the Plesk Services Monitor.
If there is an X next to the MSSQL Server, check the SQL Server box and click the Start
The "admin" user's password was changed.
Step 1: Reset the "admin" password in SQL.
- Log into the server via remote desktop
- Open SQL Server Management Studio and connect to the local server
- In Management Studio, Go to Security > Logins.
- Right-Click on the admin user and select Properties
- Under Password and Confirm Password, type in the new password and then click OK
Step 2: Reset the "admin" password in Plesk.
- Click on Start > Run (or Windows - R). Type cmd and press enter.
- In the command prompt, type (the quotes are required): "%plesk_bin%\PleskSrvClient.exe"
- A Set Plesk Admin Password dialog will appear. It will display an error message indicating that it can not connect to the Plesk SQL Server. That is OK.
- Type in the same password you typed above and then click OK followed by Yes.
- You will now be able to log into Plesk with the password you entered.
Article ID: 442, Created: April 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Modified: August 26, 2014 at 8:59 AM