Unable to Install .NET Framework Patches Via Windows Update.
When you try to install .NET framework patches via windows update, you receive an error message indicating that the update does not apply to the server.
This is a documented bug by Microsoft that can occur when certain .NET framework updates are installed.
This issue only seems to impact Windows 2003 Servers. You must be a dedicated server customer to be able to follow the process outlined. You will need to selectively uninstall .NET Framework patches and then reinstall. To uninstall the service packs, please follow these instructions below:
- Use Remote Desktop to log into the server.
- Go to Start > Control Panel.
- Click on Add or Remove Programs.
- Click on Remove for Microsoft .net framework 3.5 SP1. Wait till completion.
- Click on Remove for Microsoft .net framework 3.0 SP2. Wait till completion.
- Click on Remove for Microsoft .net framework 2.0 SP1. Wait till completion.
- Download the ASP.net 3.5 from Microsoft and install it.
- Go to http://Update.Microsoft.com and install all of the OPTIONAL updates that are related to .NET. Do not install any of the recommended/high priority updates. Multiple reboots will be required.
- Go to http://Update.Microsoft.com and install all of Recommended/High Priority updates that are related to .NET. Multiple reboots will be required.
- Afterwards go into IIS, Start > Administrative Tools > Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager and select Web Sites.
- Right click on each website and choose Properties. Select the ASP.NET tab and change it from 1.1.xxxxx to 2.0.xxxxxx.
- Confirm everything is functioning.