How to Upgrade From Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 2.5
In order to upgrade Joomla 1.5 you will first need to be on 1.5.25. Refer to How to Upgrade to Joomla 1.5.25 for instructions on this process.
Before you upgrade
- You should have a working backup of your site. Akeeba Backup is the most recommended program to take a complete backup of your site. See How do I Install Akeeba Backup on my Joomla Site?.
- Know that your components, modules or template may not work in 2.5. You will either need to wait for the developers of these extensions to provide an update or use different extensions that are developed for 2.5
Remember that any file modifications you made to the core files will be lost.
- Download jUpgrade at http://redcomponent.com/jupgrade
- Install jUpgrade: Extensions > Install/Uninstall.
- Enable Mootools Upgrade Plugin: Extensions > Plugin Manager > Mootools Plugin > Enable.
- Migrate: Go to Components -> jUpgrade which will begin the migration process.
Review Your Site
- Review your site. It is located in the /jupgrade folder. For example the upgraded site will be at http://yoursite.com/jupgrade.
- Upgrade any necessary third party extensions such as components, modules and templates.
- IEnsure that your site is in working order. Check ALL your pages.
- Upgrade problems? Check the Joomla forum for similar issues or contact a developer.
- Your Joomla 1.5 site is still running at this time so your users will not see the upgraded site until you complete the last steps below.
- Create a folder for the Joomla 1.5 files and move the current files there using File Manager.
- Move the files in the jupgrade folder to the root of your domain (httpdocs).
- Your Joomla 2.5 site is now live.