Generating a CSR in Your Managed.com/PowerDNN Control Panel
Applies to: Plesk 12.x, Plesk Onyx
is available for a fee if you wish to have the Managed.com Support team perform these steps for you. SSL Assist covers generation of the CSR, and application of the SSL certificate. You are responsible for having the certificate issued from the vendor of your choice. Please submit a ticket to Managed.com Support from your control panel, or call 1-877-743-8366 to request assistance. SSL Assist is included when purchasing an SSL directly through Managed.com.
In order to purchase and key an SSL certificate, you must generate a CSR (Certificate Signing Request). This contains information that will be included in the certificate such as the organization name, location (state, city, country), and the domain name(s) to be secured by the certificate. In the Managed.com/PowerDNN.com environment this is done through your control panel.
To generate a CSR please do the following:
- Log in to your Managed.com/PowerDNN control panel.
Please Note: If you have a dedicated server, you will use Plesk on your server. Do not use your Managed.com/PowerDNN control panel. Begin at step #3 of this article.
- Select the subscription for the domain you are creating an SSL certificate for from the drop-down in the upper right corner.
- Under My Subscriptions click the appropriate subscription/domain name.
- Under the Websites and Domains tab, click SSL Certificates.
- Click Add SSL Certificate.
- Fill in the appropriate information, including:
- Certificate name
- State or province (for the USA, please use the state abbreviation here)
- Domain name (use the non-WWW domain name)
- Once the appropriate information is filled in, click Request. This will take you back to the SSL screen.
- Click on the certificate name that you just created.
- Scroll down until you see a section with blocks of code. You should see a section labeled CSR, which looks similar to this:
- Copy the block of code under the CSR section, including the ---BEGIN-- and ---END--- lines. Copy only the CSR section. This is your CSR that you will need to provide to the SSL vendor of your choice.
- You have successfully started your new SSL certificate and generated a CSR. When generating your SSL Certificate through your vendor of choice, you will be asked for two things:
The CSR is the block of code acquired by following the instructions in this article. The Server Software type is selected from a number of options. Please select either Apache or Plesk, as these are the required formats for our environment.
- The CSR
- The Server Software Type
- Once you have the certificate file(s) supplied by your SSL vendor, please follow 'How to Apply an SSL Certificate in Plesk' to apply them. Alternatively, you may contact the Managed.com support team to apply the certificate for you (SSL Assist service, $25).