DNN allows you to use a single installation to host multiple separate websites by using its portal feature. There are two different portal types available for you to create:
- A Parent Portal is a site which will have its own unique domain name (this includes sub-domains), i.e. Site1.com, Site2.com, Portal.Site1.com.
- A Child Portal is a URL that is a subset of a unique domain name or Parent Portal, i.e. Site1.com/Portal, Site1.com/Portal2. If you are using a "/" following the domain name then you should create a Child Portal.
Both portal types are identical in regards to management and administration, with the only real difference the location of the folder that is created. A child portal creates the folder in the root of your DNN installation which contains its own default.aspx file that redirects to the directory of the main install. A parent portal creates the folder in the Portals/# where the # corresponds to the portal that is installed in numerical order.
Disclaimer: Although Portals are a good method of running multiple websites on a single DNN installation since all site data is stored in a single database and application pool, in situations where HIPAA, or PCI compliance is required, or if the portals you are creating will be resource intensive you may want to consider individual DNN installations. Please also note that sites that are created within a DNN portal can not be split out into their own installations once created, and will need to be rebuilt on a clean installation.
If you would like to create a portal on your DNN Installation please follow the steps below.
Note: These steps can be used to create a portal in DNN 6.X and 7.X.
- Log in to your domain registrar and point the DNS for your new portal to Managed.com. (Please refer to our How to Bring Your Site Live with Managed.com article for assistance if needed.)
- Create a new domain alias for your new domain name in your Managed.com control panel. (Please refer to our How to Create Domain Aliases article for assistance.)
- Log in to your DNN installation as a host user.
- On your Control Bar navigate to Host > Site Management.
- Click the Add New Site button.
- Select either a Parent or Child Portal (see the explanation of Portal Types above.)
- Fill out the required fields on the Add Site form.
- Click Create Site.
Once the new portal is created you will receive a message to tell you it was successfully created, and a link to access the new portal. If you receive an error message during the portal creation please contact our support department and they will be able to provide further assistance.
Article ID: 2128, Created: March 10, 2015 at 1:39 PM, Modified: March 11, 2015 at 2:58 PM