How to Manage Articles in Joomla
To manage your articles log into the back end of your Joomla site and then go to Content - Article Manager.
You will now have the following menu: New, Edit, Publish, Unpublish, Featured, Archive, Check In, Trash, Options, Help.
- New - This will create a new article and you will have the following options:
- Title: You must create a name for your article. [Required]
- Alias: The alias is used to generate the SEF URL. If left blank Joomla will automatically assign an alias based on the title.
- Category: Assign the new article to an appropriate category. You can also keep it as Uncategorized. [Required]
- Status: All new categories are set to published so all articles in that category will be visible in the front end.
- Access: All new categories are available to the public so anyone can view them. However you can limit them to different access levels such as registered users only.
- Featured: Articles marked as featured will appear on the home page.
- Article Text: This text area for this field is used to write the contents of your article.
- Edit - Change the settings of an existing article such as the title, alias and category.
- Publish/Unpublish - Published articles will be visible in the front end of your site while unpublished articles are not visible in the front end.
- Featured - Articles marked as featured will appear on the home page.
- Archive - Articles marked as archived will only be visible with the archived articles menu items. They will not appear in any other menu items.
- Check In - When a user is editing an article Joomla marks the article as checked out by that user and only that user will be allowed to edit it. It is sometimes necessary to check in an article if you know that that original user is no longer editing the article but it is still checked out.
- Trash - Deletes the article.
- Options - Allows you to configure the default settings for all articles. These settings can be changed on a per menu item basis.
- Help - Opens the relevant help articles for the area of Joomla you are in.