What is Magento?
Magento is a scalable eCommerce platform that provides online merchants with flexibility and control over the look, content and functionality of their eCommerce store. It is available in both a free Community Edition, and a licensed, commercially available Enterprise Edition.
A valid security certificate is required for HTTPS, self-signed SSL certificates are not support.
This article explains how to install Magento manually in our Linux environment. This article is for reference only. Please allow our technicians to install Magento for you. See How to Submit a Ticket.
Before running through the installation steps you will need to download the latest version of Magento to your local machine from Magento Download Page .
Setting Up the Site in Plesk
The following steps provide instructions on configuring Plesk to run Magento.
- Log in to Plesk.
- Select Subscriptions from the left hand menu.
- Click the Open in Control Panel option next to the domain you want to install Magento on.
- Click Databases.
- Click on Add New Database.
- Enter the name you'd like to give your database into the Database name box.
- Enter the username you'd like to use for your database into the Database user name box.
- Provide a password in the New Password and Confirm Password boxes.
- Leave all other settings default.
- Click OK.
- When the database has been created click on the Files tab.
- Click on httpdocs.
- If there are any existing default files in the httpdocs folder check the boxes next to each item and click Remove.
- Click Upload Files and navigate to the location of the zipped Magento Package.
- Select the zipped file; click Open to upload the file to the server.
- Once uploaded check the box next to the zip file.
- Click More > Extract Files to extract the zip file to the httpdocs folder.
- Select OK in the pop up dialog box.
Note: When the files are extracted, they will be placed in a subfolder named magento. They will need to be moved to the root of the httpdocs folder using the following steps.
- Click on the magento folder within httpdocs.
- Select all the files and folders by checking the box next to Name.
- Click Move.
- Select the httpdocs folder,
- Check the Replace existing files box.
- Click OK.
The following steps provide instructions on installing Magento on your new site.
- Browse to either the site's live URL if the DNS has been pointed to Managed.com, or the temporary domain if the DNS has not been pointed at Managed.com. The Magento Installation Wizard will load.
- Check the terms and conditions box and click Continue.
- Configure Localization settings and click Continue.
- Configure the Database Connection per the database that was set up during the Plesk setup steps.
- Set the Base URL to the site's LIVE URL.
- Leave all other settings as default and click Continue.
- Configure the information for the Magento Admin account as required.
- Click Continue.
- Fill out the Magento Survey.
- Copy the encryption key at the bottom of the survey and paste it into notepad.
Magento installation is complete. You can use the Go to Frontend or Go to Backend buttons to access the site.