NOTE: The Managed.com nameservers are for use on Shared Hosting ONLY, they will not function for Dedicated Server customers.
There are two options for bringing your site live with Managed.com:
- Changing Your Nameservers to Use Managed Nameservers (Easy)
- Changing Your A Record to Point at the Server (Advanced)
Before you start, you need the following:
- Access to your domain registrar's control panel. (Common domain registrars are; GoDaddy, Network Solutions, Enom or NameCheap.)
- The necessary DNS records. These are included with the welcome email you received after signup. You will either need the nameserver records, or the IP address of the server your site resides on before continuing. (The nameserver records are included below.)
Changing Your Nameservers to Use Managed.com Nameservers (Easy)
Login to your domain registrar's control panel for managing DNS records for your domain and set your site to use the Managed.com nameservers:
- For reference, the IP of the nameservers is 18.104.22.168, however, you should not use this to set the nameservers at the registrar.
NOTE: This will point all your DNS to Managed.com, which can then be managed through your Control Panel. Any custom DNS records will need to be recreated before bringing your site live. If your mail is hosted at a third party you will also need to add the required A and MX records to point to the correct location. Refer to How to Modify DNS Records in the Plesk Control Panel.
If you are unsure of how to change your nameserver records, specific instructions on how to set your nameservers can normally be obtained through your domain registrar, and in some cases they will set the record(s) for you.
Changing Your 'A' Record to Point at the Server (Advanced)
Login to your domain registrar's control panel for managing DNS records for your domain and set your site's 'A' record to point at the server's IP address provided in your welcome email. If you are unsure of how to change your 'A' record, specific instructions on how to set it can normally be obtained through your domain registrar, and in some cases they will set the record(s) for you.
If you did not receive a welcome email, or have lost yours, please submit a support ticket asking for the IP address of the server your site is on. Please see our article on How to Submit a Support Ticket for instructions if you are unsure of how to do so.
NOTE: If you only point an 'A' record at our servers, your DNS will be managed elsewhere and things such as mail may not work unless configured by you, external to our system, using a service such as Google Applications, or email services through your domain registrar.
Once DNS has finished propagating your site will be live with Managed.com. This process can take up to 48 hours, but will typically take much less time.