How to Restore a Joomla Site Using Akeeba Backup
If you used Akeeba Backup to make a back up your site, you can restore it to the previous state by following the directions below. If you need help installing Akeeba Backup on a Joomla site you can refer to How to Install Akeeba Backup on a Joomla Site
Please note: Akeeba Backup is a third party extension and support will be limited. If you have any issues with this extension you will need to contact the developer of the extension.
- Download Akeeba Kickstart at https://www.akeebabackup.com/download/akeeba-kickstart.html.
- Extract the kickstart.zip file and locate the kickstart.php.
- Connect to your site using FTP.
- Upload kickstart.php and the akeeba backup file (or files if you have split them) to the root directory of your Joomla site. This is normally httpdocs.
- Using your browser navigate to your site and append /kickstart.php; for example: http://yoursite.com/kickstart.php.
- Close the Things you should know about Akeeba Kickstart page.
- Select the archive file you would like to restore and click on Start.
- Click on Run the Installer.
- Click Next to go to DB restore page. Akeeba Kickstart will have your database connection parameters already, click Next.
- The Site Info page will appear, click Next.
- The Finish page will appear and will remind you to remove the installation directory.
- Go to the Kickstart tab in your browser and click on Clean Up.
- Your site has now been restored and you can either visit your front end or back end.