FTP Error: Could Not Connect to Server - 534 Policy Requires SSL
When attempting to connect to your website via FTP, your receive the following error:
Response: 534 Policy requires SSL.
Error: Could not connect to server
The IP address has been set to require SSL connections in IIS. You must connect securely to access the site via FTP.
Connect to your server using TLS. In the FileZilla example below, the user changes the settings to require SSL when connecting to the server.
- Start FileZilla or equivalent FTP client that supports connecting via TLS.
- Click on File > Site Manager.
- In the Host: section, specify the IP address of the site or the domain you are connecting to.
- In the Encryption: field choose Require explicit FTP over TLS.
- In the Logon Type: field, choose Ask for password.
- In the User: field, specify the user account.
- Click OK.
- When prompted, supply the password.
- Your connection should be successful.
Article ID: 1985, Created: April 21, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Modified: January 14, 2015 at 8:57 AM