Migrate a DotNetNuke Site from Current Host to a Managed.com Dedicated Server
This article describes how to use the Control Suite to migrate a DNN site to your new server. It describes the process from backing up your site files and database through making your site live on your new server.
Back Up Your Existing Site
In your current environment, back up your DotNetNuke site. You may use any of the following:
- A Plesk backup
- A copy of your site files with a SQL .bak file all zipped together
- A copy of your site files with the SQL MDF and LDF files all zipped together.
Create the Subscription/Domain in Plesk
Migrate the Site with Control Suite
See How to Create a Subscription/Domain on your Dedicated Server
Use an FTP Client to Upload the Backup to Your Dedicated Server
- Start your FTP client.
- Type the server's IP address in the Host: field.
- Supply the FTP account you made when creating your subscription/domain in the Username and Password fields. Connect.
- Copy your backup to the private folder of the domain.
- Use Remote Desktop to log into your dedicated server.
- Navigate to the C:\inetpub\vhosts\[yourdomain.com}\private folder and extract your zipped file.
- Double click on the Control Suite icon on your desktop. If the shortcut is not available, browse to c:\netstrap\SystemControl and run NetStrap.exe via Windows Explorer.
- Click Login.
- In the Navigation Tree:
- Expand Plesk x.x.x (Domains).
- Expand the domain you will be migrating.
- Click on No App Installed.
- In the Commands Ribbon, Click on Migrate DotNetNuke.
- In the Main Window, click into the Database_Source field and click the [...] button.
- Click the [...] button in the SQL .BAK Backup section.
- Navigate to the .bak file for the domain you are restoring and click Open.
- In the Main Window, click into the File_Source field and click the [...] button.
- Navigate to the site files for the domain you are restoring and click OK.
- In the Main Window click Execute.
- Control Suite will complete the restoration of your site and will load the site when the restoration is complete.
- If your DNN installation has portal aliases, click on the DNN installation in the left navigation tree. Click on Create Domain Aliases for Portal Aliases icon and Control Suite will add those aliases to Plesk for you.
- Test your migrated sites and any portals connected to it to verify they operate as expected.