How to Install Akeeba Backup on a Joomla SitePlease note: Akeeba Backup is a third party extension and support will be limited. If you have any issues with this extension you will need to contact the developer of the extension.
Downloading & Installing Akeeba Backup Core
- Go to: https://www.akeebabackup.com/download/official/akeeba-backup.html
- Click on View Files for the current stable version.
- Download the Akeeba Backup Core to your desktop.
- Login to the back end of your Joomla site.
- Click on Extensions > Extensions Manager.
- In the Upload Package File section click Choose File and navigate to the location Akeeba Backup is located.
- Click Upload & Install.
- You should receive message that the installation was successful.
Configuring Akeeba Backup
- Go to the Components Menu > Akeeba Backup.
- You will now be in the Post-installation configuration page which will only appear once. Keep the default settings and click on Apply these Preferences.
- The configuration wizard will begin. Please allow this to run; it can take up to 5 minutes to complete the benchmark tests.
- Once the benchmark tests are complete you will get a congratulations page.
Taking your first backup
- Take your first backup by clicking on Backup Now.
- Additionally you can make a change to the description and add a backup comment if you wish and then complete your backup.
Download your backup
- Click on Administer Backup Files
- There is a column called Manage & Download that will list all your backups and contain hyperlinks to download your Akeeba backups.
- You can download your backup using your browser but it is not recommended for large files as this may lead to incomplete or corrupt downloads which will make your backup unusable.
- Instead open up your FTP program and connect to your site. If you need help connecting via FTP see How to Use FTP.
- Navigate to the root directory where your Joomla site is installed. (Normally this is in httpdocs but you may have to go even further if you have Joomla installed in a subdirectory.)
- Navigate to: /administrator/components/com_akeeba/backup.
- You can now download your Akeeba Backup (it is a .jpa file) to your desktop.