How to Rename a Domain
If you need to change the name of a domain due to a spelling error or due to a company name change, follow the steps below.
See How to Determine Which Version of Plesk Control Panel is Installed on a Server to know which set of directions to follow.
Change the Portal Alias Table in the Database
Note: the database will not be renamed when the domain is renamed in Plesk.There is no easy way of renaming the database. The database name is listed in Plesk and in the web.config so if changes need to be made to it at a later time, make changes to both of those locations.
- Open and log into SQL Server Management Studio.
- Expand the domain’s database.
- Expand Tables. Right click the dbo.Portalalias table.
- Select Edit Top 200 Rows (Or Open for MSSQL 2005).
- Navigate to add the alias (re-named domain) and modify it to reflect the new domain name.
Change Domain Name In Plesk 12.x
1. Login to your Control Panel.
2. Click the Subscriptions tab, click on your domain name.
3. Go to the Websites & Domains tab.
4. Beside your domain name, click on Hosting Settings.
5. Enter the new domain name in the Domain Name box. Click OK.
Change Domain Name In Plesk 11.x
Change Domain Name In Plesk 9.x
- Login to your Control Panel.
- Click the Subscriptions tab, click on your domain name.
- Go to the Websites & Domains tab.
- At the bottom of the page, click on your domain name.
- Enter the new domain name in the Domain Name box. Click OK.
Note: If the server is running Plesk 9.5 and IIS 7, you site may not load after you change the name. There is a bug in the way Plesk and IIS 7 communicate. To resolve this, please follow the instructions in the Rename Domain IIS 7 Issue knowledgebase article. Also note: Changes to the domain name can take up to 24 to 48 hours to take effect due to DNS propagation delays. See Why DNS Propagation Takes So Long.
- Login to your Control Panel. Click on the Home tab.
- Click on Domains. Click on your domain name.
- Click on Suspend and wait 5 minutes.
- Click the drop-down arrow next to Domain Administration.
- Select Rename Domain.
- Enter a new domain name and click OK.
- Now go back to the domain page and click Unsuspend. Your domain name should be changed. Once the domain has been renamed, choose the Domain Aliases icon and add the temporary alias if it’s a new site and not yet live.