A Directory Configuration in IIS is Invalid
When you browse to a URL on your site, you get a message similar to the following:
Server Error in '/' Application.
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.
Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.
<!-- The system.webServer section is required for IIS7 compatibility It is ignored by IIS6-->
Line 60: <
Line 61: <
<!-- HttpModules for Common Functionality -->
Line 63: <
Source File: C:\Inetpub\vhosts\(primary domain)\httpdocs\(child directory)\web.config Line: 61
There is an extra web.config in a child directory.
- There is an extra web.config in the child directory.
- You are trying to run an App from a sub-directory that is not set up as an application in IIS.
You are trying to run an application from a sub-directory.
- Rename (or delete) the extra web.config in the child portals directory.
- Log into your Control Panel. Refer to How do I Access my Managed.com Control Panel?
- Click on Domains and then click on the site that is experiencing this issue.
- Click on Create Virtual Directory.
- Uncheck the Create physical directory with the same name as the virtual directory box.
- Test the application to see if it is working.
Article ID: 173, Created: April 6, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Modified: August 22, 2014 at 10:43 AM