How to Install a WordPress Plugin
When installing a plugin you have two options
Before you begin, you will need the following things:
Installing the Plugin Through the Site
- Installing the plugin through the site
- Installing it manually
Installing Your Plugin Manually
- Log in to your WordPress site at http://yourdomainname.com/wp-login.php.
- Click on Plugins > Add New.
- In the search box search for a plugin you wish to install. NOTE: If the plugin you are trying to install is not part of the official WordPress plugin database, you will need to follow the steps in Option #2.
- Once you have found the plugin you wish to install, click Install Now.
- You may be asked for FTP credentials to install the plugin. You should only have to give it FTP credentials once.
- On any pop-up requiring you to confirm the install, click Ok.
- The plugin should install itself, and present you with the option to either Activate the Plugin, or Return to the Plugin Installer.
- Select the option you wish to proceed with.
- That's it, your plugin should now be installed and if you chose it, it should be activated as well.
Sometimes you will need to install a plugin manually. You may need to do this if your situation matches one of the following:
It is always important to back up your site completely before proceeding. See Back Up Your Website Using Plesk.
- If you want control over where and how the plugin is installed.
- If the automatic install does not work for you
- The plugin you are trying to install does not exist in the Official WordPress Plugin Directory
To install the plugin manually:
- Download the necessary plugin to your desktop computer.
- If the plugin is in a ZIP archive, you will need to extract it out of the ZIP archive.
- If the plugin came with a Read Me file, look it over for specific installation instructions you should follow.
- Using your favorite FTP program, upload the plugin folder to the wp-content/plugins folder.
- Log in to your WordPress site.
- Click on Plugins > Installed Plugins.
- Verify that your plugin you uploaded shows up in the list of installed plugins.
- From here you can activate and deactivate your plugin. NOTE: If there were extra installation instructions for your plugin, they should be followed before activating your plugin.
Your new plugin should be installed and ready for use.
Article ID: 125, Created: April 5, 2012 at 8:44 PM, Modified: September 2, 2014 at 10:27 AM